International Applicants

Information for Prospective International Students

English Language Requirements

If English is not your first language, you will be asked to provide proof of English Language Proficiency.  Letters from your universities stating the medium of instruction is English are not acceptable.  English Proficiency tests are considered valid within two years of the start of a program, not when you apply.

The following is a list of specific GWC2 requirements:

  • A score of at least 90 is required in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based test, with 25 in speaking and writing
  • IELTS Academic Test – minimum overall score of 7.0 with no score below 5.5
  • Copies of test scores are to be uploaded, or originals can be mailed directly by the testing agency.  Please use the following Institution and Department Codes:  Institution Code 0996, Dept 62
  • Institutions that are exempt from providing English proficiency scores must be identified on the International Association of Universities’ World Higher Education Database (WHED) as providing instruction in English only.  If English is the only language, an ELP exemption is valid for two years from the date of graduation from that institution.

University of Guelph:

The Office of Intercultural Affairs (OIA) serves the campus community by fostering an environment of cultural competency and diversity. At the intersection of academic and co-curricular learning, the OIA offers intentionally designed programming and services that fosters leadership and community development within an intercultural and international context. There are five main functional areas within the OIA that support the growth, development and learning needs of students of colour, Aboriginal students and undergraduate and graduate international students. Guelph University has produced a guide for International Students.  Please check out the following website for the Guide for International Students at the University of Guelph:

University of Waterloo:

International students form an important part of the University of Waterloo students’ Community, with more than 2,000 international students studying at UW each year from more than 90 countries. The International Student Office (ISO) is your connection to the University of Waterloo. To support the international student population, the ISO has many resources and student services in place. Explore the links from this page ( to find the various resources available to current and prospective international students. Our International Student Advisors can help you meet other students, get answers to your questions, and find the resources you need to ensure your success.

Please check out the following website for specific information for prospective international students:

Study Permit Requirements

If international applicants intend to undertake full-time studies on entry to Canada, they must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, in their home country, for a Study Permit.  Admitted students should not leave for Canada until they have in their possession a University of Waterloo Letter of Acceptance issued by the Graduate Studies Office or a University of Guelph Letter of Offer issued by the Graduate Program Services, and a Study Permit (IMM 1442) valid for study at the University of Waterloo or the University of Guelph issued by Citizenship and Canada Immigration.  Without these two documents, applicants cannot enroll at the University. Applicants should consult the appropriate Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( office abroad for instructions to apply for a Study Permit. International Students are advised that it can sometimes take several months, depending on VISA requirements, to complete all the admission paperwork and to plan accordingly.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs