CHEM 731/7310 - Biochemical Pharmacology
Semester: Winter 2019Professor: M. Palmer | Discipline: Biochemistry | Campus: Waterloo
Understand the biochemical principles of drug action
Overview of topics
- Pharmacodynamics: General principles of drug action
- Pharmacokinetics: Uptake, distribution, and elimination of drugs
- Pharmacology of nerve and muscle cells
- G protein-coupled receptors as drug targets
- Drugs that modulate nitric oxide signaling
- Eicosanoid mediators and related drugs
- Antimicrobial chemotherapy
- Anti-cancer chemotherapy
- Drug delivery
- RNA as a drug target
- Drug discovery/development
Course notes (see http://tinyurl.com/pharma-notes
Option A: a written short review on a specific research topic related to the course material.
Option B: an in-class presentation of 15-20 minutes on a research paper. I will offer some papers for selection, but you can also search for and propose your own.
Important: with both option A and option B, you are free to propose your own topic or paper, but I reserve the right to approve your choice or not. So, before working on your review or presentation, please discuss it with me.
- Mon: 7:00 pm - 9:20 pm in C2 278/ MacN 203