CHEM 760/7600 - Organometallic Reagents in Organic Synthesis
Semester: Spring 2021Professor: W. Tam | Discipline: Organic | Campus: Guelph
The use of transition metals in organic synthesis has increased dramatically in the last two decades. Transition metal catalysts provide new opportunities for highly selective reactions that are not achievable by traditional synthetic methods. Many compounds or molecular frameworks that were impossible to make two decades ago could now be synthesized efficiently by the use of transition metal catalysts. The following topics will be covered in this course: Basic Concepts in Organometallic Chemistry, Ligands, and the use of different metals in Organic Synthesis, including: Palladium, Cobalt, Titanium, Zirconium, Chromium, Molybdenum, Tungsten, Copper and Silicon.
Disclaimer: Please note that the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic may necessitate a revision of the format of course offerings and academic schedules. Any such changes will be announced via CourseLink and/or class email. All University-wide decisions will be posted on the COVID-19 website [https://news.uoguelph.ca/2019-novel-coronavirus-information/] and circulated by email.
Useful Reference Books:
- Hegedus, L. S., “Transition Metals in the Synthesis of Complex Organic Molecules”, University Science: Mill Valley, California; 1994.
- Elschenroich, Ch.; Salzer, A., Organometallics, 2nd Ed., VCH: New York; 1992.
- Collman, J. P.; Hegedus, L. S.; Norton, J. R.; Finke, R. G., “Principles and Applications of Organotransition Metal Chemistry, University Science: Mill Valley, California; 1987.
- Hegedus, L. S., in Comprehensive Orgaometallic Chemistry II, Abel, E. W.; Stone, F. G. A. and Wilkinson, G. Ed., Vol. 12, Ch. 1, pp. 1–7, Elsevier Science Ltd., Pergamon: Oxford, UK, 1995.
The final grade will be obtained as follows:
Term Paper: 30% (Due date: July 28, 2021)
Seminar: 30% (Dates: see Lecture Schedule below)
Final Exam: 40% (Date: August 4, 2021)
Lecture Schedule (Tentative)
May 12th Chapter 1: Introduction & Basic Concepts
19th Chapter 2: Ligands
26th Chapter 3: Palladium in Organic Synthesis
June 2nd Chapter 3: Palladium in Organic Synthesis
9th Chapter 4: Cobalt in Organic Synthesis
16th Chapter 5: Titanium & Zirconium in Organic Synthesis
23th Chapter 6: Chromium, Molybdenum & Tungsten in Organic Synthesis
30th Seminar and Chapter 6: Chromium, Molybdenum & Tungsten in Organic Synthesis
July 7th Seminar and Chapter 7: Copper in Organic Synthesis
14th Seminar and Chapter 7: Copper in Organic Synthesis
21st Seminar and Chapter 8: Silicon in Organic Synthesis
28th Seminar and Chapter 8: Silicon in Organic Synthesis
August 4th Final Exam
- Wed: 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm in Remote