CHEM 770/7700 - Principles of Polymer Science
Semester: Fall 2023Professor: J. Duhamel | Discipline: Polymer | Campus: Waterloo
- Basic definitions: Monomers, polymers, polymerization reactions. Polymer structure, nomenclature. Molecular weight distributions and average molecular weights.
- Chain conformations: End-to-end distance, radius of gyration, molecular dimensions, excluded volume.
- Molecular weight measurements: Colligative properties, osmometry, light scattering, viscosity, gel permeation chromatography.
- Step-growth polymerization. Types of reactions. Reactivity, kinetics. Molecular weight distribution and control, branching and cross-linking. Polymerization equilibria. Preparation of polyesters, polycarbonates, polyamides.
- Radical chain polymerization. Types of polymerization reactions (bulk, solution, heterogeneous). Polymerization kinetics and energetics, molecular weight distribution. “Living” radical polymerization reactions. Preparation of polystyrene and vinyl polymers.
- Mechanical properties. Modulus and glass transition temperature, structure-property correlations. Viscoelasticity, stress relaxation, dynamic mechanical properties, mechanical models.
- (If time allows) Thermodynamics of polymer solutions and mixtures (blends). Flory-Huggins theory and solubility parameters. Phase separation in block copolymers and polymer blends. Polymer self-assembly.
Principles of Polymerization (3rd Edition) by G. Odian (Wiley: NY, 1991; QD281.P603 1991), Polymers: Chemistry and Physics of Modern Materials (2nd Edition) by J. M. G. Cowie (Blackie Academic: Glasgow, 1991; QD381.C68x 1991), Elements of Polymer Science and Engineering by A. Rudin (Academic Press: San Diego, 1999; QD381.R8 1999).
Quizzes (20%), one in class 1 hr 20 mid-term exam (20% or 0%) at 10:00 am on Thursday October 18th, 2022, a 20-page report on a polymer topic related to the course (20%), and a 21/2-hour final exam (40% or 60%).
- Tue: 10:00 am - 11:20 am in EIT 2053
- Thu: 10:00 am - 11:20 am in EIT 2053